Homeless Resource Centers

Shelter the Homeless has completed construction of three new Homeless Resource Centers (HRCs): two in Salt Lake City and one in South Salt Lake. These HRCs are part of a broader strategy to help those experiencing homelessness achieve housing and income stability, food security, and get the health services they need.

Shelter the Homeless received the largest Rocky Mountain Blue Sky customer grant awarded in more than 15 years. The grant covered 80% of cost for the three HRC solar arrays and donated the remaining 20% of the funds needed to cover all costs. Watch video below for more information.

Resource Center Model

The primary goal of the new Resource Center Model is to prevent and end homelessness by providing emergency temporary shelter with high-impact interventions tailored to help those experiencing homelessness resolve their immediate crisis and rapidly return to stable housing. Each Resource Center provides a safe, warm place to sleep, and a wide range of services and resources including: case management, housing navigation, employment services, life skills, meals, medical care, personal storage and connections to other long-term community resources. Each HRC is served by a mobile medical clinic provided by Fourth Street Clinic. There are no pre-qualifications to stay at a resource center. Anyone who follows the rules is welcome.

Resource Center Model Infographic

HRC Services and Resources

Coordinated Entry System (CES)

Most importantly, we are collaborating with a variety of community partners, including government agencies and service providers, to develop a centralized Coordinated Entry System. The coordinated entry process is a collaborative approach to coordination and management of a crisis response system’s resources that allows users to make consistent decisions from available information to efficiently and effectively connect people to interventions to rapidly end their homelessness.

Neighborhood Advisory Committees

Shelter the Homeless has organized three Neighborhood Advisory Committees for each of the HRCs. The Committee meets regularly to share information, solicit community support, consensus-building, and resolve any issues. For more information about getting involved, please submit your name, organization, address, and contact information by email to info@homelessutah.org.

Transition Plan & Timeline

The transition from the old model of homeless services delivery to the new model began in 2016, with the legislative appropriation for initial resource center model funding, in depth shelter bed needs analysis and statewide implementation of diversion for families. The transition process will continue through the opening of the three new resource centers starting in August 2019. The final months of the transition is being guided by a transition team, including issue-specific task groups.

Click links below for more information of the transition process and timeline.

Homeless Resource Centers Transition Video

Transition Teams & Timeline

Salt Lake Area Homeless Shelter System

Salt Lake Area Beds Capacity Comparison

Salt Lake Area Homeless System Transition Timeline

HRC Virtual Tour

Client Transition Fact Sheet

HRC Transition FAQs

Sign Up to receive transition updates

3380 South 1000 West
Completed November 2019 - Operated by The Road Home

3380 South 1000 West

3380 South 1000 West, South Salt Lake
Project site lies within a unique transition zone amongst mixed civic and residential uses. Access along 1000 West.
Accomodates:
300 Men
Square Footage:
77,461 sf
Gail Miller Resource Center
Completed August 2019 - Operated by Catholic Community Services of Utah

Gail Miller Resource Center

242 West Paramount Avenue, Salt Lake City
Urban infill project with great potential to use surrounding context to guide architectural place-making. Control points along 300 West and between High Avenue and Paramount Avenue access road.
Accomodates:
200 Men + Women
Square Footage:
62,691 sf
Geraldine E. King Women's Resource Center
Completed July 2019 - Operated by Volunteers of America Utah

Geraldine E. King Women's Resource Center

131 East 700 South, Salt Lake City
Urban infill project with great potential to use surrounding context to guide architectural place-making. Control points along 700 South entry and back of house at mid-block access road.
Accomodates:
200 Women
Square Footage:
59,848 sf